Saturday, October 10, 2009

a little catch up (which I wrote a few days ago)

It is Tuesday, Oct 6th 09 and I am writing this offline, in hope of being connected again the latest by tonight.
Today is the day this should happen, they said.
My phonenumber is already available, I just can't take the call yet.
The days before I still got a voice telling me they don't know that number, when I called it from my cell.
That changed now, so I think this is a good sign.
I didn't write in a while, because I had no internet and I didn't feel like sitting in internet cafes writing long entries.
I didn't write offline to post when back online either.Bad me. :)
Well, what happened after my last entry?
I spent the whole week packing. Well that sounds more than it was.
But let me put it this way:
By Saturday I was all packed and when my Mom got home in the afternoon, we stuffed the room and off we went...
We stopped at a supermarket to get me the first food, cleaning stuff etc and then we spent like 6 hours on the road, plus a stop for dinner.
We got here around 11 pm, carried the stuff in, pumped up the airbed and went to sleep.
I was sleeping on the airbed the first week, which was not very comfortable but better than the bed my landlord offered me.
They thought about renting out this place furnished, but I opted to bring my own stuff.
We agreed that I keep the stuff that was in here until I get my own and that was ok for the first time, but now I am happy that I have my own nice furniture.
So back to the first weekend here.
First thing we did on Sunday morning was setting up the coffee maker. :)
After breakfast mt Mom left and I unpacked the kitchen stuff as far as I could.
I have only limited space in my kitchen cupboard.
After this I went out to explore the town.
Well, mainly to find an internet cafe, which I did after a good while.
First thing I did here was ordering my landline and internet and being mad at myself for not doing so earlier.
But when I checked the homepage before, it said that it would be easier for them to get me a new landline if I plug a phone into the wall, dial any three numbers and listen to
what I hear there (supposedly a number) and let them know this number during the process of ordering my new connection, so I waited until I got here with a phone in tow.
I didn't bring one when I went here to look at that place and sign the contract, stupid me.
So on Sunday morning I plugged in the phone and heard....nothing!
Right, nothing.
And I didn't have the number of the previous tenant which would have been another option to put in there, because he took it with him, when he moved, as my landlord told me.
(previous tenant is the son of the landlord)
So, while doing the ordering on the internet, I called the hotline that was shown there and asked, what to do and the lady said, "Oh just leave it empty".
So I left it empty and sent everything and was told that the estimated date of connection would be Sept 28.
Not that bad, I thought.
A few days later I got the letter which told me the right date...
Well, back to Sunday.
I checked my mails and stuff too and I got a message from a future fellow student, that asked if I would like to meet for a drink or so.
I happily agreed, and so we met for dinner.
We had a good time and I found my future lab mate. :)
After this I went home and to bed.
The next morning we met again, at the station, to take the train to campus.
Soon we gathered some other new fellow students around us.
The welcome speeches were nice, everybody told us, how lucky we can be to be at such a great school and what opportunities we would have.
And they told us, how happy they are to have us there.
After this was over I went to the store and got myself a cable that I needed to get the TV running.
Imagine how boring the first days here were.
No TV, no internet, and I left the books and dvds at home, because space in the car was limited and they were nothing I would need right away..haha.
The following two weeks were filled with instructions, what to do and not to do in the lab, whe had a fire drill, including the use of a fire extinguisher (well a fake one that
was filled with water only) and putting out a burning person (which was a dummy of course!)
Looks like there are lot of dangers in the lab...
And we went to the maths bridge classes which should help to get the minds into math thinking and catch up on or remember stuff from school.
On the weekend (26th/27th) my Mom came back and we made a trip to IKEA.
Well actually we made two trips but the second one she did alone to pick up the closet which would never have fitted in with the first load.
It took us like 3 hours to find all the stuff, pile it up in two carts and check it out and then it took us 30 minutes to get it into the car.
The fact that my Mom had to bring the dog, because my brother, who was supposed to watch him over the weekend, let her down, didn't help much.
We couldn't leave him in my appartment since he has some issues, separation anxiety that is.
He is from the shelter, somebody abandoned him at a autobahn reststop shortly after Christmas and now he is always scared to be left behind somewhere.
He can stay alone at our house for some hours now, which is a huge accomplishment for him, but leaving him in a place he doesn't now, all by himself? No way!
So he had to come.
Now imagine hauling home a load of furniture and a dog that is so big that he normally haS the trunk of my Mom's station wagon for himself...
We made it home safe and after unloading all the stuff my Mom went back to get the closet.
She only got half of what we planned because we needed two frames and they only had one left.
While she was gone, I started to assemble the furniture.
This is the best part about IKEA.
I just LOVE to put together all the furniture afterwards!!
This time it was not that easy because the dog didn't feel comfortable about the fact that his human left him in this strange place and he tried to sit in my lap all the time.
After a while he finally calmed down and I was able to put together a shelf and start a chair, the night stand and the kitchen table until I got to the point where I needed
the screwdrivers that were conveniently stored behind the front seats of my Moms car.
So I had to wait until she got back and then we finished those.
We also did the second chair, the bed and the desk.
The closet we left for Sunday.
On Sunday we built said closet and my Mom went home again.
I busied myself with emptying some boxes I think.
This weekend also was an important weekend for the whole country since it was election time!
I cast my vote already some days ago by postal vote.
Let me put it this way: I don't like the outcome but it could have been worse.
At least people got their brains back in time and didn't vote the NPD in.(and as I heard, they lost, compared to the last election)
Last Thursday we had an English test and I was not that happy with the result.
I think I should have done better after spending 2 years in the States.
The grammar part was not that good, but I did great on the vocabulary part.
That is a small comfort.
My overall result still put me in the best group.
I now have to find out if I can do two languages, or if I have to choose between English and the other one and if my score allows me to choose at all.
Some say I can do two languages, some say I have to pick one...
I also got myself a lab coat, a used one for 5 Euros.
We are required to have 2 coats, but I ordered the second one new, since all the used ones really looked like that, used.
It took me like half an hour to find an acceptable one that didn't have sweat stains as big as dinner plates or some writing like stupid idiot all over the back on it.
I think that is a good compromise.
On Friday me and some fellow students went to Cologne to see the exhibition Koerperwelten.
I was mightly impressed, this was better than any biology class!
Over the weekend I didn't do much.
I slept in, cleaned my place, unpacked so more (lazy me) and then went out for an adventure.
I wanted to do a little hike but by the time I got to that place I was worrying it would get dark while I was there. Beside that, the weather didn't look that nice anymore.
So I postphoned the whole thing.
I went back to town and walked over the little fair thing they had there.
It was October 3rd, our national holiday, so of course all stores were closed.
But they were open on Sunday from 1 to 6 pm.
So I took a stroll through the stores then.
I also found some nice stuff which I might get myself.
I mean, everybody needs a calendar, right?
And I think the one I picked would look great over my kitchen table. :)
Yesterday we had yet another instruction and then, finally, the first lesson.
Math it was.
And we were told that todays lesson was cancelled.
All the other things for today were already cancelled but math wasn't.
So we were really happy to hear that!
I was especially happy because I went to a concert last night and it would have been a pain to get home very late and get up at stupid o'clock to go to math class.
I went to see Green Day!
I saw them back in 05 (?) when they were in Berlin for live8 but that was only a 15 minutes show.
Last night they played 2 and a half hour!
Great music as expected.
But there were some things I didn't like.
First, when it says 8 pm on the ticket then I don't expect the support to already start around 7 pm.
For me the support band is part of the concert and when the ticket says the show starts at 8 pm then I expect the support to start at 8 pm.
Green Day themself didn't start at 8 iether though...
Then I had a great place. Great to watch hockey games and stuff but baaad to watch a rock concert.
I would have needed binoculars to see what is going on on stage.
But I also think that I should have been in the crowd right in front of stage.
I think I am lucky that I still got a ticket but still...
And there were a few to many "Are you readyyyyy Cologne??" and stuff, but beside that, the concert was great.
I got home around 1 am, and was really happy that I was able to sleep in today.

Now I am sitting here, typing down this catch up, having some coffee and waiting for the green light on the router to turn from blinking into steady...

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment