Monday, August 16, 2010

'cause it feels like fall...

Yep, it certainly does.
It poured like crazy yesterday and the temperature did a remarkable drop, like from shorts and t-shirt weather to long pants and *gasp* socks.
That's why I decided to cook a pumpkin stew and later that night I had a hot chocolate with seasonal spices. (and little marshmallows on top of course)
I found the recipe online and varied a bit. (something I normally don't do but more about that later)
Well, what I cooked serves me for two days, since I am a single person I can not say anything about how many people you can feed with one pot.
So if you want to try it yourself you have to figure out the measurements by yourself. :)
What I used are ham cubes, which I fried for a bit before added chopped up onion (I used one package of ham and 1 onion) and 3 cloves of garlic (pressed). I let this all fry for a bit. Then I added one diced hokkaido pumpkin ( you can leave the skin on but of course you have to remove the seed) and let this all cook for a bit. Then I added one cup of rice and enough water to cover it all. I seasoned with instant broth and some dried herbs.
Let it all cook on low til the rice is done (stir occasionally) and enjoy! :)



 And for the hot chocolate I heated up some milk because it is easier to dissolve something in a warmer medium.
Then I put in 4 teaspoons of baking cocoa, 3 teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and very little of clove powder, ginger powder and pimento.
Stir it all, and then fill up with boiling milk. Put some marshmallows on top (I used little Betty's) and enjoy!







I really enjoy cooking, trying new recipes and making up my own ones but it was quite a rocky road til this point and I am still learning. I know, cooking is a lot about intuition and feeling, and sometimes you just put in  a bit more of this and less of that because you just feel like doing this.
My problem is, that I feel uncomfortable trying new stuff and changing recipes, adding something else to it or leaving something out.
I think this is because I am a scientist too and in the lab it is crucial to follow the "recipe" 100%.
You can't just change the measurements because then at least you are not getting the result you are supposed to or you can even put yourself and others in danger.
I often catch myself doing complicated calculations before I even start cooking, and that kind of annoys me but on the other hand I can't help myself.
But as I said it is getting better and better. I think I just need more practice.





I hope everybody has a great week!
Mine will be great because at some point I will pay my favorite store a visit. :)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment