Saturday, October 15, 2011

unsolicited advice

I love the internet for all the great things you can find there, instructions for nearly anything. Especially for cooking related things I heavily rely on the internet. For example the other night:
I wanted to cook a broccoli. Don't judge me, one is never too old to learn.
In fact I cooked a broccoli before but it did not turn out the way I wanted, so I figured I would go online and learn how to do it right.
I could have called my Mom too, sure, but sometimes it's just easier to look it up online.
So I went and googled and found various pages with tips how to do it right.
I picked an easy one, after all I did not want some fancy shmancy  broccoli, just a plain one with some salt, just not too mushy.
One person wrote something which was pretty reasonable.
The comments were not that reasonable though.
It went from how he did it the wrong way, ten minutes would be way too long, blabla to how it would be better anyway to eat it raw.
I understand it's the internet and everybody is entitled to his or her opinion but if somebody posts how to cook a broccoli and one finds this by googling chances are pretty high that he does not want to eat it raw.
But the same thing happened to me in real life as well.
I was chatting with some friends.
It was summer and pretty warm and I told them how I bought a honeydew melon and cut it up and put it in the fridge and how I enjoyed it as a really refreshing snack.
One friend chimed in and told me how dumb I was to use a honeydew melon and that water melon is THE thing, how perfectly refreshing it is in the summer and blabla.
Really??
I guess if I wanted to eat watermelon I had gotten some, don't you think?

Have you gotten some unsolicited advice recently?


The instructions of the first person were just fine by the way, I did it his way and my broccoli turned out great.
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Haven't we all? ^^ But yeah, I totally understand that you're annoyed about the melon thing. Like my neighbour, telling me it's dumb to not dress up at home. Come on, I don't expect any visitors, so why wear my best dress at home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, probably she would want you to clean in it as well. ^^

    ReplyDelete