Sunday, September 9, 2012

baked pumpkin and zucchini

I know, I know, it got quiet here again.
In my little snippets there to the left you can see that stuff is going on and I promise, I will tell you all about  that soon, when I got everything sorted out.
Don't worry, it is not bad, just difficult. ;)

In the meantime I figured I would share a recipe with you.
It's one of my favorite and one of the reasons I love fall so much.
I call it baked pumpkin and zucchini. :)
And that is pretty much what it is.
This is basically all you need:


One hokkaido pumpkin, two zucchinis and spring onions.
Not pictured here are the spices and the olive oil.
I made this once with only one zucchini and found that the ratio was off.
The reason why I love hokkaidos so much is that you can eat the skin too. While cooking the hard skin will become soft.
So you just have to cut it open, remove the seeds and then cut it up. :)
Cut the pumpkin and the zucchinis into bitesized pieces and cut as much of the green from the spring onions as you like.
Don't use the whole thing, that would be too much. I usually use like 5 cm.
Put all the vegetables in a freezer bag, add olive oil and spices as you like.
I don't have an exact amount here because I just use my gut feeling here.


Close the bag tightly and start to lightly squeeze it. Not to the extend that the veggies get squished but rather so that everything in the bag will be well mixed, like in the picture below:


When the veggies are sufficiently covered in oil and spices, pour it all in a baking pan.
I line mine with aluminum foil because that makes it easier to clean afterward. :)


The excess oil will remain in the freezer bag.
Now put it in the preheated oven. (225 C or 437 F ) for like 30 minutes.
When I make this dish, I normally make it with a premade fish fillet which requires baking at 225 C for 45 minutes so I start with the fish and after 15 minutes I put the baking pan in with it and when the fish is done the veggies are done too.
The fish and the veggies are enough for two dinners for me, so I guess this should feed 2 persons.




And I don't want to "sell" this as an additional recipe, so I just  tell you right here, that the combination of potatoes and bell peppers is delicious too! :)
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Irgendwie sieht das serviert richtig lecker aus! Obwohl ich erst bei den Zutaten gedacht habe "Ooookay.. aha." :D

    Vielleicht kann ich das ja mal in Amerika ausprobieren. Wenn die Kids das mögen.. :D

    ReplyDelete